Saint Jerome, Priest, Doctor 


Job 9:1-13,​14-16

Psalm 87(88):10-15

Luke 9:57-62



Psalm 118 describes the word of God as a lamp guiding our steps and a light illuminating our paths, emphasizing that His word provides direction, serves as a guide, and offers protection. It is the message of salvation, a message of peace, a proclamation of hope, and an announcement of God's reign in the lives of all humanity.


Dei Verbum succinctly presents the Catholic Church’s understanding of Sacred Scripture.


Primarily, Sacred Scripture is regarded as divine revelation; through it, God reveals Himself so that we may come to know Him. “The invisible God... out of the abundance of His love, speaks to humanity as friends... and dwells among them... inviting and calling them into fellowship with Him."


Furthermore, Christ, the Word incarnate, united actions and words, showing that “the deeds wrought by God in salvation history both reveal and confirm the teachings and realities signified by His words."


In Jesus Christ, the fullness of divine revelation is made manifest. What was revealed over two thousand years ago encompasses everything; additional understanding is regarded as an elaboration and deepening of God’s truth, not a revelation of new truth.


Most importantly, under the guidance of the Magisterium—the Pope and the college of bishops, successors of the Apostles—and within the living tradition of the Church, all elements of faith should be considered together, maintaining harmony.


Above all, it is essential that "all preaching of the Church be nourished and guided by Sacred Scripture.”


Consequently, Sacred Scripture ought to be accessible to all the Christian faithful, ensuring careful translations and inclusion within the liturgy.


Moreover, “prayer should accompany the reading of Sacred Scripture, so that God and humanity may converse; for ‘we speak to Him when we pray; we listen to Him when we read the divine words.'"


This message calls us to actively share God's word in every aspect of our lives and throughout the entire human family.


What may hinder you from sharing the word of God in your daily life?


Reflecting on Jeremiah’s example, when he hesitated because he felt too young and unqualified, God responded, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ To whoever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak... See, I place my words in your mouth! This day I appoint you to build and to plant.” (Jeremiah 1:1-10)


Who knows what fertile ground God’s word might find through your actions today?


We do not need to engage in door-to-door evangelization. We can lead by example—living a life rooted in Christ. As Catholics, we are called to share the message where and when we can, through actions, words, and prayer. Strength and dedication are required for this mission.


God has addressed any hesitation you may have about sharing the good news. Do you think you are too young or too old? Or perhaps insufficiently experienced? Do you worry your words might fall on unresponsive ears? The answer remains the same: trust in the Lord.


Prayer 


O my Divine Savior, transform me into yourself. May my hands be the hands of Jesus. May my tongue be the tongue of Jesus, Grant that every faculty of my body may serve only to glorify you. Above all, transform my soul and all its powers, that my memory, my will and my affections

may be the memory, the will and the affections of Jesus. I pray you to destroy in me all that is not you.

Grant that I may live but in you and for you, and that I may truly say with St. Paul:

“I live, now not I, but Christ lives in me” (Gal 2:20).


“I will sing of your salvation . . . My mouth shall declare your justice, day by day your salvation.”-Psalm 71. 



Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Till your good is better and your better is best-St. Jerome. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog